Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Hard Headed

We had a great weekend! Saturday afternoon Nana and Pops came up to visit! The boys had a great time, it had been quite a while since we had seen either one of them. Harrison was just fascinated with Pops and every time he left the room he'd say "where pops?" until he found him...it was really cute. I think he thought he was going to run off and leave without saying goodbye. The weather was just beautiful here in NWA, lower 80's. The boys were in and out of the house all day, playing in the pool for about 30 minutes at a time. That's about all they could handle it since it was so much cooler than their used to!

What's this?
Sunday morning started out normal. Chad and Pops left early to go play some golf. I make pancakes and everyone ate, except Gray. He decided about 30 minutes later that he wanted to eat some cereal, and since Harrison has to do everything that 'gaygay' does, he had to have some also! Well, he had just eaten pancakes so his tray to his booster seat was dirty, so I just pushed his chair up to the table instead. After they finished eating Gray ran off to play so I grabbed the bowls off the table and was at the sink rinsing them out. Next thing I know, out of the corner of my eye I see Harrisons chair falling backward...(insert my scream here) I get to him just as the chair back is hitting the ground...and as his head is hitting the ground. Now, normally Harrison is our brave one..he can scratch his leg and have blood coming out and will continue to play like nothing is wrong. This time it was different. He cried and cried. Could have been my scream had scared him....we'll never know. I took him in his room and rocked him because he was pretty much unconsolable. I figured in a couple of minutes he would be fine and running around playing with his brothers again. Well, 10 minutes later he was still crying and started saying his tummy hurt...this is how he usually tells us he's going to vomit, so I ran to the bathroom and held him over the sink. He didn't like the fact that I was holding him away from my body, he wanted to be right there attached to me. Mom and I started to get worried. Mom had looked at his pupils and they were fine. We had felt around on his head and there was no knot...no bruise, nothing. So we thought, well, maybe if we take him outside he'll perk up and want to play. We sat out there for a few minutes and he still didn't want to leave my lap. Now we were really worried. It had been probably 20 minutes by now. We decided that to be on the safe side I needed to take him to the ER and have him checked out. I had turned around to do something right before we were leaving and mom was holding him, next thing I know he's vomited all over the kitchen floor. Great, now he's lethargic and vomiting. The ER was relatively fast considering that I had a 2 yr old with a potential head injury. It didn't take them long to get us back into a room. After being there for a few minutes Harrison finally started to perk up...wanted to get down for the first time in about an hour and he started to ask about his fancy ankle bracelet he was having to wear. He wasn't to happy about that and tried to pull it off a few times. We entertained outselves by watching some Sunday afternoon rodeo...Harrison loved the bull riding! We finally got an EX-Ray done and it didn't show any cause for concern. In the end, the dr called it a "closed head wound" and compared it to a concussion. Thank the Lord that he is alright, I think that Someones hand had to have been under my baby's head for him not to be hurt. From now on we're going to be putting a bike helmet on his head at mealtime, or maybe just not sit him so close to the table where he can get that much leverage!

In other news, who is that in his own bed? It's GRAYSON!!!!! Last night was night 3 of him sleeping in his own bed! Hallelujah! He's come into our room and made Chad go lay in his bed for a few minutes all 3 nights but we would much rather do that than him sleeping with us. We have a big weekend coming up, we're meeting 4 other families at Lake Hamilton for the weekend! Should be lots of fun....9 little boys, mostly 5 and under and 2 little girls! WooHoo!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Lori - I am so glad to hear that Harrison is fine. What a scare! And what a big boy Grayson is for sleeping in his own bed! :)